Traveller's Alert for COVID-19
Galiano Island is passionate about hospitality and welcoming visitors. However, the current health crisis is the most serious challenge we have faced in our community, for our residents and our Island economy, and we ask everyone visiting us to follow BC Health Guidelines. If you are planning on visiting our island, please note the following:
UPDATE: The Province of BC is advising all BC residents to avoid non-essential travel until January 8 at 12:00 midnight. This includes travel into and out of BC and between regions of the province. Please do not travel for a vacation or to visit friends or family outside of your household or core bubble. If you currently have Galiano Island travel plans and reservations between now and January 8, we recommend that you contact your accommodation provider to reschedule.
Please understand that the current COVID-19 situation remains fluid, with government regulations and health guidelines changing rapidly. We monitor provincial health update closely to ensure both our visitors and residents remain safe and informed. Please check with this page for changes, or for up-to-date status, check with British Columbia travel information: https://www.hellobc.com/what-you-need-to-know/
What remains constant is this: Please wear masks, observe social distance guidelines and hand-washing and sanitizing protocols.
- The COVID-19 pandemic affected all communities in Canada, including Galiano Island. Travel restrictions, social responsibility, and health concerns have been top of mind for everyone here. Our Island businesses have reopened gradually and carefully, some are still closed temporarily, and most are ready to welcome visitors again when it is safe.
- If your area of British Columbia or Canada is under greater restrictions, please stay home and come when it is safe to travel. Currently, until January 8, all regions are under strict travel restrictions.
- Mandatory and precautionary measures are being taken by all businesses, please observe these to keep both you and our island safe. Local businesses and services have also adjusted their procedures, service levels and hours. Some restaurants are open for seated guests, some for take-out only. Once it is safe to visit again, please contact them directly to make reservations at your favourite place.
- Social distancing is still a requirement…and good sense. Please observe it wherever you are. We follow the guidelines of our Health Care providers.
- Our Visitor Information Booth is not always staffed, but we have made available maps and information. Our Visitor Map is online, too. Volunteers are available virtually to answer any questions you might have about travel and services. You can reach us by email at email@example.com or through our social media channels (Facebook / Instagram). We are available 7 days a week to answer questions.
- Our Parks and trails and beaches will still be as beautiful and amazing when you return…and always open…everyone will need to get into the beauty of Nature…and we have more places to discover. Even when restrictions finally are eased, please continue to observe social distancing and masks on the narrow trails.
Community COVID-19 Support Bulletin Board
Thank you for your interest in our Island during these trying times.
As you are aware, things are a little topsy-turvy these days and life on Galiano is no different. This is a time when our community needs all the support it can muster.
Below is a list of businesses that are offering "Gift Certificates" for a "buy now, visit later" experience. If you are thinking of visiting us some time in the future, now would be a good time to book your trip and help support our small business owners through this crisis.
We recognize that a community is strongest when everyone's needs are met. In this time of crisis, membership should be subordinate to support. This list is open to all businesses on Galiano. If you would to include your business on the list below, please let us know here.